holy cross                                                                        

In 1890 there were swamps and ponds of water in the area where Holy Cross Parish stands today. That is why this section of the city was called “Town of Lake.” It is not surprising that the Lithuanians, who love lakes and streams, began to colonize there. The Lithuanian people in the district were unorganized in 1890, but by February 6, 1902, they had formed a charitable organization under the title of St. Vincent Ferrer. A committee of Lithuanian people was appointed and they approached Archbishop James Edward Quigley with a request for permission to found a Lithuanian parish in Town of Lake.

The Archbishop agreed, asking for at least sixty Lithuanian families on whose support the parish could depend. On February 1, 1904, ten lots were purchased on 46001 street between Hermitage and Wood Streets. The land was purchased by the Society of St. Vincent Ferrer, who also gave $250 from its treasury. And the rest of the money, $8,000, was a partial loan made by the American Trust and Savings Bank to the parishioners of the new parish.

June 16, 1904, Rev. Alexander Skrypko came to Chicago and began the organization of the new Lithuanian parish in Town of Lake. He was appointed pastor by Archbishop Quigley two weeks later. Over time the church and its parishioners grew, so the temporary church could no longer accommodate the people. October 26, 1913, Archbishop Quigley laid the cornerstone of the new church, which was one of the most beautiful Lithuanian churches in Chicago. For the better part of the 20th century Holy Cross remained a Lithuanian parish, but a couple of blocks away, a Hispanic community was steadily building.

ihm

Located on Ashland and 45th, Immaculate Heart of Mary Church was founded through different circumstances. During the late 1930s, the Mexican population was dramatically increasing. So much that mass was being performed on store front “chapels.” Claretian priests from St. Francis of Assisi Church were traveling to the neighborhood on Sundays for mass. The priests saw the need for a new church which would better suit the growing Mexican population. In 1941 a former butcher shop was rented and outfitted as Our Lay of Guadalupe chapel. For the next three years Rev. Aloysius Dot, CMF, served the Mexican community. 005Through drives he hoped to collect enough funds for the purchase of permanent facilities.

 

On March 5, 1944, Our Lady of Guadalupe was relocated to 45th and Ashland, just a couple of blocks away from its original location. The “church” was moved to four store front locations which were purchased by Rev. James F. Tort, CMF, Rev. Joachin DePrada, CMF, and the Archdiocesan Chancery Office. Archbishop Samuel A. Stritch encouraged Father Tort to enlarge the chapel even if it meant $20,000 worth of renovations. Fr. Tort obliged and on December 30, 1945, Archbishop Stritch dedicated the chapel. Shortly thereafter it was renamed to Immaculate Heart of Mary.

From August 1, 1947 on, daily mass was celebrated in the chapel, with Rev. Raymond Sunye, CMF, as pastor. The population of Mexicans had still shown no signs of slowing down. With the growing population of the neighborhood, Immaculate Heart of Mary was not big enough to accommodate all of the people. Holy Cross, meanwhile, was going through its own changes. With the turn of the 1970s, the Mexican population in Back of the Yards Community was no longer the minority. The parish had to accommodate all of its parishioners, supplying the Hispanics with a Spanish mass.

hcihm

Holy Cross Immaculate Heart of Mary Church is a vibrant Catholic parish community located in the primarily Mexican-American nieghborhood of the Back of the Yards. It is mostly a young, immigrant, low-income, working class community.

…Iglesia de Santa Cruz…

Historia En 1890 había pantanos y estanques de agua en la zona donde se levanta la parroquia de Santa Cruz hoy. Por eso esta sección de la ciudad fue llamada “Ciudad del lago”. No es de sorprendernos que los lituanos, que aman a Lagos y arroyos, comenzaron a colonizar allí. La gente lituana en el distrito no estaba muy bien organizada en 1890, pero para el 6 de febrero de 1902, habían formado una organización benéfica bajo el título de San Vicente Ferrer. Se nombró un Comité de gente lituana y se acercaron al Arzobispo James Edward Quigley con una solicitud de permiso para fundar una parroquia lituana en Villa del lago. El arzobispo convino, pidiendo al menos sesenta familias lituanas en cuyo apoyo podría depender la parroquia. El 1 de febrero de 1904, se compraron diez lotes en la calle 46 entre las calles Wood y Hermitage. La tierra fue comprada por la sociedad de San Vicente Ferrer, quien también dio el tesoro de tomacorrientes de $250. Y el resto del dinero, $8.000, fue un préstamo parcial realizado por American Trust y Saving Bank para los feligreses de la nueva parroquia. El 16 de junio de 1904, Reverendo Alexander Skrypko llegó a Chicago y comenzó la organización de la nueva parroquia lituana en Villa del Lago. Fue nombrado párroco por el  Arzobispo Quigley dos semanas más tarde. Con el tiempo la Iglesia y sus feligreses crecieron, y entonces el templo provisional ya no daba mas cabida a la gente. Para el 26 de octubre de 1913, el Arzobispo Quigley puso la primera piedra del nuevo templo, que se convirtió en una de las más bellas iglesias lituanas en Chicago. Durante casi todo el siglo 1900 Santa Cruz siguió siendo una parroquia lituana, pero a un par de cuadras, crecía constantemente una comunidad hispana.

…Inmaculado Corazón de María…

Situada en la Ashland y 45, la iglesia del Inmaculado Corazón de María fue fundada por muchas razones. Durante la década de los 30, la población mexicana aumento dramáticamente. Tanto así que la misa se estaba celebrando en carpas que funcionaban a manera de “capillas”. Los sacerdotes Claretianos de la Parroquia de San Francisco de Asís venían al barrio los domingos para celebrar la misa. Los sacerdotes vieron la necesidad de una nueva iglesia que respondiese al crecimiento de la población mexicana. En 1941 una antigua carnicería fue alquilada y equipada como capilla para Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe. Y los tres años siguientes el P. Aloysius Dot, CMF, sirvió a la comunidad mexicana. Trabajando con la comunidad logró recaudar suficientes fondos para la compra de instalaciones permanentes. El 5 de marzo de 1944, Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe fue trasladada a la calle 45 y Ashland, sólo a un par de cuadras de su ubicación original. La “Iglesia” fue trasladada a la tienda cuatro casas de frente que fueron compradas por el P. James F. Tort, CMF, P. Joachin DePrada, CMF y la Oficina de la Cancillería Arquidiocesana. El Arzobispo Samuel A. Stritch animó al P. Tort para ampliar la capilla incluso si debían invertir $20.000 por valor de renovaciones. El P. Tort se sintió obligado y el 30 de diciembre de 1945, el Arzobispo Stritch había dedicado la capilla. Poco después fue renombrada como Inmaculado Corazón de María. Desde el 1 de Agosto de 1947 se celebra la Eucaristía allí, con el P. Raymond Sunye, CMF, como párroco. La población de mexicanos siguió creciendo. Con la creciente población del barrio, la Iglesia de Inmaculado Corazón de María no era lo suficientemente grande como para dar cabida a todas las personas. Mientras tanto, Santa Cruz, iba a través de sus propios cambios. Con el cambio de la década de 1970, la población mexicana en la parte posterior de la comunidad del Barrio de Las Empacadoras ya no era la minoría. La parroquia tuvo que acomodar todas sus parroquianos, celebrando para los hispanos la misa en español.

…Santa Cruz e Inmaculado Corazón de María…

……

 

donate_bgguest login1 regist_btn

Follow us on Facebook